Friday, January 07, 2005

Tsunami aid

The company I work for just announced their pledge to the Red Cross and an additional pledge of 2-for-1 matching on employee donations to the Red Cross. I was waiting to see if they would do something like this before making a donation because I wanted to get the most bang for my buck. My employer definitely steps up in times like these. After 9/11, they were a major force behind the American Tribute to Heroes Telethon, creating the infrastructure for the world's largest vitual call center in less than 4 days. I was one of 7000+ associates who volunteered to work in our call center taking donations. It was a pretty overwhelming experience, an affirmation of the intrinsic goodness of human beings.

Edit/update: My employer announced today that they will be providing call center support for the tsunami aid telethon on Saturday. Glad to see them stepping up again! They've put a call out for volunteers, but I'm not sure if our call center here in San Diego will be put to work. We'll see, I'd love to do it again.

No comments: