Monday, January 10, 2005
Farewell to Haas
This morning, I officially withdrew my Haas application from consideration. I was invited to interview at the Jan 22nd Super Saturday a couple of days before Christmas. After the holiday hoopla, I started thinking about my situation and possible scenarios/decisions. I waited until the last possible day to decide whether I would be attending Super Saturday or bowing out of the Haas race. I talked about this with family and friends on several occasions, and I kept coming back to the same conclusion. My application strategy was to apply to both CA state schools in hopes of getting in to one of them (preferably Anderson due to my post-MBA aspirations) so that I would have an in-state option. After I had some time to process the news of my admission to Anderson, I started to think, is there any scenario in which I would choose Haas over Anderson? I couldn't think of any. Cost-wise they'll be the same, but Anderson is better for sports/media, I prefer the location, the move would be cheaper, and I felt like I vibed better with the folks at Anderson. Every time I would bring this up with family & friends, they all said the same thing: "You pretty much answered your own question. If you wouldn't choose Haas over Anderson, there's no reason to continue." So in fairness to the Admissions Team and my fellow applicants, and in the interest of saving a little money for admit weekends & moving expenses, I decided not to attend Super Saturday and to withdraw my application. It was easy in the sense that I feel confident I'm doing the right thing, but there's that little part of me that likes to finish what I start.