Tuesday, March 08, 2005

HBS "Hackers" Blacklisted

An overreaction, in my opinion. The Boston Globe has an interview with HBS Dean Clark, who says that anyone who used the hack (aka loophole) will get dinged. All 119 of them.

I feel bad for these folks. The application fee, all the hours spent on essays and coordinating recommendations, perhaps even traveling to campus, it's all been flushed right down the drain due to very human impulses...curiosity and anxiety.

Maybe I feel bad because deep down I know that if I had been in their position and found a loophole to potentially end the agony, remembering where I was mentally just a couple of months ago, I probably would have taken the red pill too. So I'm not going to jump on my moral high horse and shun these people for "unethical" behavior. I think some of the people who are looking down their noses at the doomed 119 should take a long hard look at themselves before they pass judgment. As for me, I wish the doomed 119 the best of luck with their other b-school applications. If any of you end up at Chicago, I'll buy you a beer.

(Yes, I'm back from Chicago's admit weekend and I'm 99% sure that's where I'll be in the fall. Recap coming soon.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree 100%. I believe the Dean's attitude epitomizes all the is wrong with HBS. My sympathy goes out to the 119 who got the automatic ding.

Anonymous said...

yeah.. I feel bad for those folks ..and reading BWeek forums I could see many significant others had also checked the applicant's status. They should not be penalised for the lack of judgement on their significant others part.