Friday, October 29, 2004

Two down, three to go

It has been an interesting 24 hours, filled with good things and bad things.

First the good, which is actually MBA related. My Kellogg application is showing up in the system as “complete” (after a minor scare yesterday, when it went from “in process” to “no record found”, a phone call this morning cleared that up). Next update will be “Admit, Waitlist, or Deny”…oh my goodness, it has finally sunk in that this is REAL. Yikes! My Haas application is out the door. Conducted the final proofread yesterday and the super anal "just in case" proofread this morning before dropping the hammer. I feel pretty good about it. Haas is looking for interesting essays and I feel like mine are a good balance of personal and professional. Will they win the Pulitzer? No, but I think they serve their purpose. As I was submitting today, I tried to pay the application fee online. I wish I had tried this a few days ago because it was not working and causing me all kinds of stress. It must be a firewall problem or something along those lines. I dug around the site and realized I could pay by check and as long as it was postmarked today I'd be OK for Round 1. Phew! I caught a lucky break...I wish the same could be said for Aregon, Brit-Chick, and PowerYogi...I feel for you guys, I hope it all works out.

Now the bad, which is more personal. I usually don't get very personal on here but I need to vent. I broke up with my boyfriend last night. Which sucks on a normal day, but even more so when you're temporarily homeless and staying at his place. Called a friend at 11:30 pm and arranged to crash on her couch. Some warning signs had been surfacing as I began to notice some trust and jealousy issues. We were talking about that last night and I asked him to talk to me if there was ever anything bothering him. I was not expecting him to bring up stuff from my past (not “ours”, just mine) and basically reveal himself to be a bigot. He has issues with the fact that I’ve dated outside my race and said some things last night that absolutely disgusted me. It’s amazing how someone’s personality can make them more or less attractive. The attraction is now gone. Tolerance is one of my core values and I cannot fathom allowing this man to pass along his intolerance to our (hypothetical) children. This is not an issue of compromise and there is no point in being in a relationship with someone who doesn’t share your values. I'm sorry he feels that way and I think there are a lot of great things about him, but they were completely negated by the things he said last night. I’m angry, but in a way, because it was a deal-breaker type situation, I’m kinda at peace with it. There is no coulda woulda shoulda. Plus, it’s reduced my stress level for this whole b-school process because I’m free make decisions and only worry about myself. Everything happens for a reason. Except now I have to worry about finding a date for our company holiday party, damn!

Happy Halloween everyone :)

4 comments:

aregon23 said...

I am sorry to hear that. But I am sure you will work things through. With the application process being as hectic as it is, it will atleast take your mind off the situation.

iwhoElse said...

I m sorry to hear that.. :( But I am sure even this shall pass.. :)

Dave for MBA said...

I started about to say yay! But, yikes. I know you may not be ready or want to hear this, but I wonder if this isn't the best thing for you to have more freedom mobility, action and emotion as you go through this B-school application phase.

Wakechick said...

Thanks everyone. That's exactly what my mom and I were talking about...this is a time in my life where it's best to have few attachments and little baggage. Like I said, everything happens for a reason :)